Thursday, February 20, 2014

The things we carried to Loyola

Coming to Loyola I carried the weight of moving on, the new beginning a fresh start. Walking through the doors of Loyola with my 1920's LoreƩ inside its new ProTec case with all my music, reeds, knives, and goals. Meeting for the first time the oboe instructor, Jane Gabka, was like always a completely different experience every lesson. Along with her was her carry bag that housed a double top joint case, knives, leather strop, music books, technique books, a reed case that held 50 reeds in all, and her syllabus for me being that I was the only new student in her studio. Her bag weighing at about ten pounds, she placed it gently on the floor. And so it began, my new start to my new school.

Jane Gabka born and raised in Chicago, IL was a miracle worker as told by the rest of the studio. She can fix any of your problems in seconds and also teach you at the same time how to fix your problems. Reed issues, instrument adjustments, or simple just to choose music she has solution just for you. She will not baby you, she will push you to your limits, push you over the edge, and then bring you back. What a surprise I was in for in my next few years here at Loyola.

The studios expectations for the new student was high. Doc talked so much about this new student that he was so amazing that he would be first chair in the orchestra right away, he had a phenomenal audition, and a great tone. The day of chair placement came fast as the entire studio went to audition for placement out of five students, the new student came out last on the list. Shocking to Doc and the oboe instructor, no one would have thought this would be the outcome.

With the past behind, and the future ahead little did I know that the studio consisting of another guy and three girls would become my new family away from home. Moving on is hard but with a like family them things that seemed impossible become very possible because no matter what happens they will always be there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment