Thursday, March 13, 2014

Achebe on Heart of Darkness


In his novel Heart of Darkness Conrad creates the illusion that Africa is an uncivilized jungle and its inhabitants nothing more than savages. So it is not a surprise that Chinua Achebe was not happy with Conrad’s portrayal of the African culture and its people.  In Apocalypse Now the Vietnamese are barely considered human. They are shot, Napalmed, raped, burn, and blown up. The same beastly treatment that the Africans received from the Belgians, the Vietnamese got from Americans. When I read An Image of Africa by Chinua Achebe I couldn’t help relate with him because I know what it’s like for your culture to be portrayed as tribal and prehistoric. No one expects everyone to know everything about everything but ignorance does not excuse for disrespect. I forget the amount of times someone has asked me “Do you have electricity in the Dominican Republic?” or “I thought you guys lived in tree houses”.  It feels like a mockery of a person’s reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment