Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stick Soldiers

Jalula Market
Out of the first few poems that I read, this one really stuck out to me. What I liked about this was how real it felt. I felt like I was part of the patrol that Martin was in. It seemed weird to me at first how much he was describing the chicken, but then I realized that being so far away from home, the soldiers probably do not have the luxury of eating what we take for granted in the states. In this poem, a bomb goes off close to where the patrol is, and three IP’s were dead in a jeep, but Martin was secretly enjoying the moment. I thought this was really strange, it would seem that he would be really traumatized about this situation, but he is enjoying the moment, because he has his food and is satisfied. After reading this poem I felt bad for Martin. Not because he is fighting in the war, but because fighting in the war takes him away from the people and things he loves.

M-16A2 Assault Rifle

Although this poem was short, it was interesting to me because it seems to explain the war in just a couple of lines. From reading the other books in this class, and having some knowledge of previous warfare it is clear to see how warfare has evolved. In this poem, he explains how he just waited for something to happen, and the best thing he could do to kill time, was clean his rifle. In the past wars we have read about warfare seemed to be up close, but with technological advances and warfare advancements, the style of war seems to have changed. Martin talks about his rifle like it is sacred to him, and the poem seems straightforward. Maybe I was over analyzing it, but I believe this poem really explains what some other soldiers went through in the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment